At Newby Dental Practice we try to offer an exceptional standard of care and service. Occasionally we do not fulfill your expectations. In this practice we take comments and complaints very seriously and welcome the opportunity to learn from them. Our complaints procedure aims to deal with any concerns in a courteous and prompt manner, so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible.
Our procedure is based on these objectives:
1. The person responsible for dealing with any complaint about the service that we provide is Ellie Barkhordarian, Complaints Manager.
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to their complaint and offer to refer him or her to Ellie immediately. If Ellie is not available at the time, the member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on.
3. If the patient complains in writing the letter or email will be passed on immediately to Ellie
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
5. We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint in writing, normally within three working days.
6. We will seek to investigate the complaint within ten working days of receipt, to give an explanation of the circumstances that led to the complaint. If the patient does not wish to meet us, then we will attempt to talk to them on the telephone. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within ten working days we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
7. We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation.
8. Proper and comprehensive records will be kept of any complaint received.
9. If patients are not satisfied with the result of our procedure then a complaint may be made to:
For Private Dentistry
Dental Complaints Service
The Lansdowne Building
2 Lansdowne Road
Tel: 08456 120 540
For NHS Dentistry
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Tel: 0345 015 4033
Email – email@example.com
Alternatively if the patient feels unable to complain to the Practice, the complaint can be made to NHS England as the commissioner of the service. Complaints are received centrally at the call centre and they are forwarded to NYH CSU Patient Relations team.
Patient Relations will then contact the Practice, share the complaint and discuss timescale for investigation and response and ask for a response in a format to share with complainant. They will also seek clinical advice as necessary. The response is signed off by the Area Team and sent to the complainant.
Contact details for NHS England
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone number 0300 311 2233
By post to the Complaints Manager
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT Email – email@example.com
For Further Advice
The General Dental Council (GDC)
37 Wimpole Street
Tel: 0845 222 4141
Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else
Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have their permission to do so. As such, we have certain procedures we need to follow, we can advise you of these when you contact the Practice.